Saturday, October 21, 2017

Whisky I've Drank: Jim Beam's Choice


By Josh Peters
Jim Beam Green Label you devious bastard. You got me into this whole whiskey mess. I remember the moment the way most people remember things like first dates or the birth of a child. The details of that moment are permanently etched in my mind and one of the most surprising moments of pure epiphany that I’ve ever experienced.
I was sitting in a friend’s living room and we were talking about the AFI concert we were going to later that evening. COPS was on TV and the November sun was threatening to take cover behind the Wasatch mountains at any moment. My buddy asked if I wanted some bourbon and began pouring Jim Beam Green Label into glasses as if it was a foregone conclusion. He plunked down two glasses of three to four fingers. I stared at it incredulously before asking “How the hell am I going to shoot that?” to which he simply replied “You don’t. You sip it.”
Overall it’s one of those whiskeys that my palate doesn’t really think is that great, but my brain does. It’s rather unique because of the charcoal filtering process before bottling which gives it a character all it’s own despite being only about a year more matured than it’s white label brother. If I were rating this off of nostalgia it would get a perfect score, but I’m not and I still love it even if I not longer consider it a daily drinker.
Jim Beam Choice (Green Label) Review:
ABV: 40%
Price: $20
Distiller: Jim Beam
Age: 5 years
EYE
Caramel with hints of red
NOSE
Typical caramel and vanilla with that Jim Beam spice making itself known. Medicinal undertones mixed with candy corn and a light fruity citrus.
TASTE
Tart caramel and imitation vanilla pair up with Jim Beam spice and candy corn. A slight citrus rolls along with some corn, oak and just a bit of smoky char.
FEEL
Not as smooth as you’d expect but still drinkable.
FINISH
Corn and wood make a big show before fading to a watery caramel on a medium finish.
SCORE: 81/100

No comments:

Post a Comment